Accenture Health
Insurance Society

Family membership

Health insurance provides insurance benefits not just to insured persons but also to their dependent family members. These family members are referred to as “dependents”. Family members must meet certain conditions related to “residency in Japan,” “the extent of the family relationship,” and “income” before they are authorized as dependents.

Adding a family member

Required documents:
  • Health Insurance Notification of Change of Covered Dependents (Addition)
  • Dependent certification record
List of documents required for dependent certification
Deadline: Within five days after the reason for adding the family member arises
Applies to: Insured persons for whom the number of dependent family members increases due to marriage, childbirth, etc.
Address inquiries to: See here for more information on where to obtain and submit the documents.
Notes: See the Description page for information on standards for certifying dependents.

Documents to attach for dependents who qualify for exceptions to the domestic residency requirement even though they do not have addresses in Japan

Reasons for exception Certifying documentation
(1) Student studying abroad Copy of visa, student ID, certificate of school attendance, certificate of school admission
(2) Family member accompanying an insured person posted abroad Copy of visa, written appointment overseas, certificate of residence issued by a foreign public agency, etc.
(3) Person traveling abroad temporarily for sightseeing, recreation, volunteer activities, or other reasons unrelated to employment Copy of visa, certificate of agency dispatched for volunteer activities, certificate of consent to participate in volunteer activities
(4) Person recognized as equivalent to (2) above due to family relationship to an insured person arising while the insured person is posted abroad Copy of documentation certifying birth, marriage, etc.
(5) In addition to (1)-(4) above, person recognized to have a livelihood based in Japan in consideration of purposes of traveling abroad and other circumstances Subject to determination on a case-by-case basis. Please contact the Health Insurance Society.
  • Note: If documents were prepared in a foreign language, please attach a Japanese translation signed by the translator.

Procedures for designating family members as dependents and required certificates

In certain circumstances, the following certificates and other documents serving as evidentiary documents must be attached to the application for dependent status.

  • Taxation/tax-exempt certificate for local tax or income certificate issued by public agency
    For persons aged 18 or older (including those attending night school), submit a document certified by a public agency, such as the city, ward, town, or village mayor.
  • Certification of cohabitation
    Submit your certificate of residence as proof that the dependent lives with you.
  • Certificate of school attendance or copy of student ID card
    For students in high school and above (at any type of school other than night school), submit a school-issued certificate of school attendance or copy of student ID card in place of the certification attesting that the person lacks an occupation or income source.
  • Copy of physically disabled person's certificate, or a medical certificate
    If the dependent has a disability or is under long-term care, submit copy of his or her physically disabled person's certificate, or a medical certificate.
  • Retirement certificate
    If the applicant is unable to submit certification that the person is without occupation or income source because the person's employment status changed recently, submit a certificate issued by the company indicating that the person in question is no longer employed.
  • Copy of pension or public employees' pension certificate
    For prospective dependents receiving pensions, submit the pension benefits notice or similar document (copy) issued by the local social insurance office.
  • Other
    The Health Insurance Society may require the submission of additional certifying documents.
  • Employment insurance
    Persons may not be authorized as dependents while receiving employment insurance benefits. Please undertake the corresponding procedures to remove such dependents as soon as they begin receiving benefits. If a person still has not found employment after exhausting employment insurance benefits, another dependent application must be submitted, along with a document certifying that he or she is no longer receiving employment insurance benefits (i.e., copy of certificate of eligibility for employment insurance benefits).

Accenture Health Insurance Society periodically undertakes reviews of dependents and the validity of their status

The following individuals are ineligible for dependent status:

  • Recipients of basic allowance under employment insurance
    Those currently receiving basic allowance under employment insurance after leaving employment (excluding the waiting and restricted-benefits periods)
  • Recipients of injury or sickness allowance, maternity allowance, or workers' compensation benefits
  • Persons 75 or older

The following individuals are ineligible to be authorized as dependents without following certification:

  • Persons living apart from the insured person (excluding cases of unaccompanied posting or school attendance)
    Certification of allowances remitted (excluding funds handed over to dependents as single events)
    • Annual amount of remitted allowance: amount exceeding dependent's annual income
    • Frequency of remittance: every one or two months
    • Certification of remittance from insured person: remittance receipt from bank or other financial institution
  • Students in high school and above
    • Certificate of school attendance (from high school, university, junior college, preparatory school, etc.) or copy of student ID card
    • Certificate of plans to advance to college or university (issued by high school from which the person graduated)
    • Certificate of annual income issued by public agency (e.g., city/prefecture tax certificate)

Removing a family member

Required documents:
  • Notification of Change of Covered Dependents (Removal)

[Documents to attach]

  • Health insurance card (for the dependent to be removed)
  • Elderly benefits card (if issued)
Deadline: Within five days after the reason for adding the family member arises
Applies to: [Insured persons with dependents who meet the following descriptions]
  • No longer eligible as dependents due to reasons such as employment, living apart from the insured person, or death
  • No longer satisfy the conditions for certification as dependents due to increased income
  • No longer rely on the income of the insured person for their livelihood because the insured person no longer provides an allowance
Address inquiries to: See here for more information on where to obtain and submit the documents.
  • In addition, dependent status will be cancelled retroactive to the date on which the dependent ceased to meet eligibility conditions. Note that if the dependent used his or her insurance card issured by Accenture Health Insurance Society or used any health-maintenance services (e.g., medical examinations or various cafeteria-plan services) since the date of cancellation, he or she will be subsequently billed for the entire amount of such services.
  • If the dependent dies, Dependents' Funeral Expenses is paid. For this reason, "Request for Payment of Burial Fees (Costs)" and attached documents must be submitted.

Example cases

  • When a dependent become employed / When a dependent's income rises
    Annual income of less than 1.3 million yen (for individuals under 60 years of age) is a precondition for dependent status under the health insurance. Please consult with the Health Insurance Society promptly if a dependent's monthly income exceeds 108,333 yen, regardless of employment status (e.g., full-time, contracted, or part-time employee status).
    • * Note: If the person cannot join the health insurance system at his or her employer, he or she must apply to join the National Health Insurance system.
  • When a dependent gets married
  • When a dependent lives apart from the insured person
    Persons who must live together with the insured person to be eligible as dependents will lose their status as dependents if they begin to live apart from the insured person.
  • When a dependent turns 75
    The Medical Care System for the Advanced Elderly took effect April 2008. Since this system covers all persons in Japan 75 or older, once a dependent reaches 75, he or she will lose his or her eligibility of dependent in the Health Insurance Society.
  • When a dependent dies
  • When a dependent begins to receive employment insurance benefits
    Employment insurance is intended to provide support to cover the cost of living while seeking employment. For this reason, persons receiving employment insurance benefits are not considered dependents.
    (During the waiting or restricted-benefits periods, such persons will receive no income and are thus eligible for authorization as dependents. Please undertake the corresponding procedures to remove such dependents as soon as they begin receiving benefits. If the individual remains unemployed after exhausting his or her employment insurance benefits, apply once again to designate him or her as a dependent.)